Sunday, December 6, 2009

Snow!

Yesterday was the first real snow at Dartmouth this year! I thought upperclassmen would be used to it by now but I was studying for my education final with a junior who was literally yelling and jumping around and clapping her hands because it was the first snow of the year. At first I wasn't that psyched because we have at least three more months of snow to look forward to and I'm dreading the winter a little bit, but it's hard to stay unexcited for long when other people are giddy and blitzing out (aka emailing everyone they know) about the snow every 4 seconds.

I went into my education final at 3pm and it was snowing but not sticking and when I came out at 6pm there was snow on the ground and all over my bike and such. In case you don't actually care about snow and are more curious about my education final, I think it went well. It involved a lot more writing than I expected so my hand cramped up a few times but there are definitely worse things that could happen during a final. Like not knowing anything.


Anyway, the snow. Turns out there's a tradition of a giant campus-wide snowball fight on the Green at midnight when the first real snow falls. I got a bunch of blitzes about it, including one from Dr. Seuss' alumnus account. It felt very cool and mystical to get a blitz from Dr. Seuss, even if it's not actually him (though I like to think he's blitzing out from the grave). The snowball fight itself was awesome. There wasn't that much snow and there were a ton of people there, so soon it felt like we were just throwing ice chunks and it started to hurt. After that I went back to my dorm with some people and we threw snowballs at people's windows until they came to the window and said hi to us (don't worry, ORL, they were soft snowballs and no windows were in danger of being broken).

Back to studying! I have my human biology final on Monday. I'm actually listening to a podcast of one of my professor's lectures now. He gives us a lot of great resources for studying so hopefully all will go well.

One more snow thing:
There's a webcam in Baker Tower and it looks out over the Green, and as soon as it snowed people started drawing things in the snow for people looking at the webcam.

No comments:

Post a Comment